Today I got stuck in the whirlwind of the chaos of stuff. It was a day when I let the disaster of the house and the enormous quantity of stuff in it get to me. One of those days when I was so close to ordering a dumpster for the front yard so I could really clean house. Stuff gets in the way, or at least it feels like it does, of the real work to be done. The real play and the real interactions. It makes me so mad. Yet, I struggle to purge.
We did have our sweet moments, though, like going to see our sweet six year old friend perform at her camp showcase. I got teary with pride just watching her, so excited, on the stage. Kids so excited to be singing and dancing. Then we came home and the mess encircled me again. Darn. Thanks to a super friend who came to visit I got distracted once again and learned a new word for the place in my house (the basement and the office) where my unwanted items go before they make it to my car to be donated, Purge atory. The problem with Purge Atory is that it's still in my house which means my kids always end up finding my 'give away' pile and reintegrate items into the house or just leave them strewn about all over the floor. But thanks for my wonderful partner, of now 16 years (10 years married), I now have a huge pile of stuff to give away ready to go in the car tomorrow morning. He took the kids out and about so I can purge stuff without them seeing and without interruption. Hip, hip hooray!
My Purge atory friend has also re- inspired me to really reduce the garbage we make. She has been inspired by this blog
http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/ and while hasn't gone quite as far as the writer of the Zero Waste Home she has been inspired with lots of ideas for reducing our footprint on this sweet planet on which we live. Another friend sent me another appropriately tied in link for today,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UJrSUHK9Luw beautiful music making with garbage! Lots to think about but first thing tomorrow I am off to the recycle station and the thrift store to drop off A LOT of stuff. I can't wait to get rid of more! I feel so free.
I should clarify that we are at home for two weeks to visit family and friends and for the kids to go to a camp we had signed up for a long while back. Funny that it's nature skills camp which is not exactly what we have been doing up north but close. I am really hopeful that our summer experience will renew our vision and priorities; to remember again what's important, to restore our connection to nature, our creativity and our ability to get rid of more stuff at our downstate house! More about up north later. For now here are some pics!
 |
| tree climbing and hugging at The Gorge |
 |
| from our front porch |
 |
| the lake |
 |
| frolicking fun |
 |
| R actually purposely sat down in each of these pictures and said "Chee". My camera was not out. She's such a ham! |
Love seeing all the pictures!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the zero waste home link. Very interesting site!
I LOVE this blog! and I love purging! sometimes I get rid of stuff that is actually useful (and regret it later) just because it is so cathartic to get rid of stuff. I want to come and visit you guys at the bio-station SO BADLY! It looks like so much fun! Argh!
ReplyDeleteThanks gals! I feel the same way about purging Lauren and have a hard time with actually doing it because I think, "What if 'need' this item? I don't want to have re-buy it." This has happened a couple of times with this round of purging and I have found that I have been more creative with a solution or just realized that I could get by without. Yay! I wish you could come visit, too!!!!!
ReplyDelete