Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mommy Mikkies



With my first two kiddos I weaned when I became pregnant. It wasn't easy but nursing while pregnant became very uncomfortable for me and man was I tired.   I am not entirely ready to stop nursing Rose but my need to continue this relationship does not match Rose's. She could nurse all day and all night long. She loves her mikkies, as she calls my breasts ever so fondly. Last weekend she woke up and I had left for yoga already. She felt sad because she wanted to nurse. When Jason told her where I was she said in a sad voice, "My mommy mikkies at yoga." She has been known to stare lovingly at them while I change, pointing and saying in a sweet voice, "My mommy mikkies!" We have many a throw down during the day though because any time I sit down she wants to nurse; when the big kids ask for a story, when we eat a meal, when I sit on the ground to play with them, when I come back from a run and stretch, when I am sleeping, all the time. When she asks sweetly it is hard to deny her but lately she has become a bit of a tyrant about it and will demand in her most serious and firm and sometimes mean two year old voice, "I want my milkkies NOW!" It is (can be) such a sweet relationship and I am trying to savor these moments because unless some crazy thing happens I will not nurse again, but it is a relationship and it has to work for us both. So I am heading to the store to get a special cup with a special straw for her to drink her yummy milk that comes from a box. What shall we name that? Almond Milkie? Maybe I can tape a picture of my breasts to the cup. Ha! Those of you haven't nursed might think this is the most absurd thing ever, but seriously nursing your babies is one of the most intimate and wonderful relationships that I feel lucky to have experienced, keeping in mind that it is also one of the most challenging. For now, I can feel content knowing my mid-thirties, three babies later breasts are just perfectly loved by my 2 year old! And soon enough I will know again how my body feels when I am not pregnant or nursing. It's been a long time since I experienced that ( pushing 7 + years now). I wonder what it will feel like!
Who could deny this cutie milk? I mean really. 





3 comments:

  1. "I want my mikkies" - Rosie reminds me of Bill - hah hah hah. I feel like that phrase needs to go on a t-shirt. I have only been pregnant/nursing going on four years and I am pooped. Was just thinking the other day about weaning Anna and she is only 14 months. Of course, she is not that attached to my breasts (neither was Owen). She only wants to nurse now before she goes down for a nap or to bed at night. Ce la vie. Seriously, though, I feel like we could sell a lot of t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I have been trying to think of way a to bring in some extra income.

    Boy do I miss you guys. Our t-shirt business will help us stay connected! :)

    ReplyDelete